Close Menu
Daljoog News
    What's Hot
    Experts Reveal the Smartest Time to Arrive at the Airport

    Experts Reveal the Smartest Time to Arrive at the Airport

    February 19, 2026
    NFL Scouting Combine 2026: What Really Matters as Player Participation Dips

    NFL Scouting Combine 2026: What Really Matters as Player Participation Dips

    February 19, 2026
    Camila Cabello Turns Heads in Red Bikini During Tropical Getaway

    Camila Cabello Turns Heads in Red Bikini During Tropical Getaway

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Thursday, February 19
    Daljoog News
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube Instagram
    • Home
    • General
    • World
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Politics
    • Finance
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Travel
    Daljoog News
    Home»Health»Lack of SEND Support Hurting Children’s Mental Health in South East
    Health

    Lack of SEND Support Hurting Children’s Mental Health in South East

    Tanjid OsmanBy Tanjid OsmanJuly 15, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Follow Us
    Google News
    Lack of SEND Support Hurting Children's Mental Health in South East
    Lack of SEND Support Hurting Children's Mental Health in South East
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Parents and guardians in the South East are calling for a major overhaul of the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) system. They say the current setup is harming their children’s mental health.

    Tora, a mother from East Sussex, said the lack of SEND support has hurt her 16-year-old son Mason’s wellbeing. Mason has autism, type 1 diabetes, and a severe learning disability. He was asked to leave his special needs school last October because the school could no longer meet his needs.

    Since then, Tora has applied to 20 different schools for her son. Each one rejected him, saying his needs are either too great or not enough. The effect on Mason has been severe. Tora said, “He lost all his confidence. At first, he wouldn’t even leave the house. His behavior got worse and he became very challenging.”

    East Sussex County Council said it cannot comment on individual cases but works with parents to find education settings that meet children’s needs. The council added that while demand for special school places is high nationwide, East Sussex has more special school places than many other areas.

    The demand for SEND support is rising quickly. The number of Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) issued in England grew by 140% between 2015 and 2024, according to the Office for National Statistics. EHCPs help children with SEND get the support they need.

    Despite this, funding has not kept up. The National Audit Office expects a £4.6 billion shortfall in school budgets across England next year. This funding gap makes it harder for councils and schools to support children like Mason.

    Thirteen-year-old Tommy has autism and other special needs. He spent three years in mainstream schools in Kent. His guardian Denise said the schools tried their best but were not ready to meet Tommy’s challenges. This caused him a lot of stress. Denise said, “He would bang his head, not sleep, and scream. Mentally, it was wearing him out.”

    After three years, Tommy got a place at a specialist school for children with SEND in Kent. Now, he attends an independent specialist school for children with autism and other needs. Denise says Tommy is “much happier” but said the fight for council funding was tough. She says more special schools are needed and calls for a full overhaul of the SEND system.

    Kent County Council has been asked for comment.

    Mike Martin, the Member of Parliament for Tunbridge Wells, plans to hold a debate in Parliament about SEND services in the South East. He wants to raise awareness of the system’s problems faced by families in the region.

    The government says the SEND system was “left on its knees” when they took over. A Department for Education spokesperson said they are working on changes to improve support and stop parents from having to fight for help.

    The Education Secretary has promised that children will always have a legal right to extra SEND support. The government is working with parents and experts on solutions. These include more early help to stop needs getting worse and £740 million to help councils create more specialist places in mainstream schools.

    The government is expected to announce further reforms to the SEND system this Autumn.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Tanjid Osman
    Tanjid Osman
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • LinkedIn

    Tanjid Osman is a dedicated news journalist at Daljoog News, covering a wide range of topics, including General News, World Affairs, Business, Technology, Politics, Finance, Health, Lifestyle, Sports, and Travel. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for delivering accurate and insightful stories, he keeps readers informed on the latest developments from around the globe.

    Related Posts

    NIH’s Bhattacharya Named Acting CDC Chief

    NIH’s Bhattacharya Named Acting CDC Chief

    February 19, 2026
    Four UAB Leaders Join Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame

    Four UAB Leaders Join Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame

    February 18, 2026
    7 Glute Stretches to Boost Hip Mobility and Reduce Pain

    7 Glute Stretches to Boost Hip Mobility and Reduce Pain

    February 16, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Our Picks
    NIH’s Bhattacharya Named Acting CDC Chief

    NIH’s Bhattacharya Named Acting CDC Chief

    February 19, 2026
    Four UAB Leaders Join Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame

    Four UAB Leaders Join Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame

    February 18, 2026
    7 Glute Stretches to Boost Hip Mobility and Reduce Pain

    7 Glute Stretches to Boost Hip Mobility and Reduce Pain

    February 16, 2026
    9 Heart-Healthy Dark Chocolates to Try in 2026

    9 Heart-Healthy Dark Chocolates to Try in 2026

    February 11, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    Don't Miss
    Murkowski Rules Out Alaska Governor Bid, Stays in Senate

    Murkowski Rules Out Alaska Governor Bid, Stays in Senate

    Politics February 9, 2026

    U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski has made it clear she is not preparing to leave Washington…

    Minister Sri Mulyani

    Minister Sri Mulyani: Indonesia’s Top Finance Leader

    June 4, 2025
    Russia Iran Nuclear Tension Raises Global War Fears

    Russia Iran Nuclear Tension Raises Global War Fears

    June 23, 2025
    Declining Number of Surgeons in Africa Sparks Concern Among Medical Experts

    Declining Number of Surgeons in Africa Sparks Concern Among Medical Experts

    February 27, 2025
    About Us

    Daljoog News is a trusted news platform that brings you the latest global and local updates with accuracy and fairness. We are committed to clear and unbiased reporting, covering topics like politics, business, technology, science, and culture and more. Using the latest technology and expert journalism, we provide reliable coverage of important stories. Stay informed, inspired, and empowered with Daljoog News—your source for breaking news, the latest updates, and videos that matter.

    Email Us: info@daljoognews.com

    Our Picks
    US Judge Dismisses Buffalo Wild Wings Lawsuit

    US Judge Dismisses Buffalo Wild Wings Lawsuit

    February 18, 2026
    Casey Wasserman to Sell Agency Amid Epstein File Fallout

    Casey Wasserman to Sell Agency Amid Epstein File Fallout

    February 15, 2026
    Why can't the US dollar's depreciation be stopped?

    Why can’t the US dollar’s depreciation be stopped?

    February 1, 2026
    Latest News
    Experts Reveal the Smartest Time to Arrive at the Airport

    Experts Reveal the Smartest Time to Arrive at the Airport

    February 19, 2026
    NFL Scouting Combine 2026: What Really Matters as Player Participation Dips

    NFL Scouting Combine 2026: What Really Matters as Player Participation Dips

    February 19, 2026
    Camila Cabello Turns Heads in Red Bikini During Tropical Getaway

    Camila Cabello Turns Heads in Red Bikini During Tropical Getaway

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) RSS YouTube Instagram
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Our Authors
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Sitemap
    © 2026 DaljoogNews.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.