Close Menu
Daljoog News
    What's Hot
    Iran Fast Boats Raise Security Risks in Hormuz Strait

    Iran Fast Boats Raise Security Risks in Hormuz Strait

    April 25, 2026
    2PM Ok Taecyeon Marries After 10 Years of Love

    2PM Ok Taecyeon Marries After 10 Years of Love

    April 25, 2026
    Russia Gold Reserves Drop After Massive 22 Ton Sale.jpg The server cannot process the image. This can happen if the server is busy or does not have enough resources to complete the task. Uploading a smaller image may help. Suggested maximum size is 2560 pixels.

    Russia Gold Reserves Drop After Massive 22 Ton Sale

    April 25, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Thursday, May 21
    Daljoog News
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube Instagram
    • Home
    • General
    • World
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Politics
    • Finance
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Travel
    Daljoog News
    Home»Technology»Met Police Crack Major International Phone Ring
    Technology

    Met Police Crack Major International Phone Ring

    Onu AkterBy Onu AkterOctober 8, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Follow Us
    Google News
    Met Police Crack Major International Phone Ring
    Met Police Crack Major International Phone Ring
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Metropolitan Police have disrupted a major international network suspected of smuggling tens of thousands of stolen phones from London to China, officials said. The crackdown, described as the largest of its kind in the UK, follows months of investigation into organized theft and illegal exports.

    Authorities estimate the criminal organization moved up to 40,000 stolen phones abroad over the past 12 months, representing nearly 40% of all mobile thefts in the capital. The network targeted high-value devices, particularly Apple products, which can sell for thousands overseas.

    The investigation, named Operation Echosteep, began in December 2024 when officers discovered a shipment of about 1,000 iPhones destined for Hong Kong at a warehouse near Heathrow Airport. Forensic evidence from the packages helped police identify suspects and trace further shipments.

    A man was charged with handling stolen goods after being stopped at Heathrow on 20 September with 10 suspected stolen phones. Police also recovered two iPads, two laptops, and two Rolex watches during the arrest. Investigators found the same individual had travelled between London and Algeria more than 200 times over two years.

    Three days later, two men in their 30s were arrested in northeast London on suspicion of handling stolen goods. Police discovered phones in their car and around 2,000 devices at properties linked to the suspects. They were charged and remanded in custody.

    On 25 September, two more men in their 30s were arrested for money laundering and handling stolen goods after officers recovered approximately £40,000 in cash from a phone shop in Islington, north London. Police also seized additional stolen devices. These suspects were later released on bail pending further inquiries.

    In total, 46 arrests were made over a two-week period, including 11 targeting gangs robbing delivery vans carrying the new iPhone 17. An additional 15 people were arrested for theft, handling stolen goods, and conspiracy to steal. Searches across 28 properties in London and Hertfordshire recovered over 30 suspected devices.

    Mayor of London Sadiq Khan praised the Met Police for tackling the issue. He highlighted a 13% drop in robberies and a 14% decrease in thefts so far this year. Khan urged the mobile phone industry to take stronger action to prevent stolen devices from being reused or exported.

    “Criminals profit millions by repurposing stolen phones, many of which still access cloud services. The industry must act faster to make stolen devices unusable,” Khan said. “Global cooperation is needed to shut down this trade and make London safer for all residents.”

    Detective Inspector Mark Gavin, senior officer for Operation Echosteep, said the initial seizure of phones led to the discovery of an international smuggling network responsible for exporting nearly 40% of London’s stolen phones. He noted smugglers paid street thieves up to £300 per handset, while devices could sell for as much as $5,000 (£3,710) in China.

    The crackdown comes amid rising global mobile phone thefts, with London reporting approximately 80,000 stolen devices last year. Commander Andrew Featherstone, the Met’s lead on phone theft operations, called Operation Echosteep the most extensive set of actions undertaken by the force to combat both street-level theft and large-scale smuggling.

    Police say the operation demonstrates the scale and organization of international phone theft networks and underscores the need for continued collaboration between law enforcement agencies and technology companies. Officials plan to continue investigations and pursue further arrests to dismantle remaining elements of the smuggling network.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Onu Akter
    Onu Akter
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Onu Akter is a dedicated journalist at Daljoog News, known for her insightful reporting and compelling storytelling. With a keen interest in a wide range of topics, including current affairs, technology, lifestyle, and personal development, she brings a unique perspective to every piece she writes. Onu’s commitment to delivering accurate, well-researched news ensures that readers stay informed and engaged. When she’s not covering stories, she explores new ideas and seeks fresh inspiration from the ever-evolving world around her.

    Related Posts

    Uranium uses and risks raise global security alarm

    Uranium uses and risks raise global security alarm

    April 22, 2026
    Apple CEO Transition Marks Major Leadership Shift

    Apple CEO Transition Marks Major Leadership Shift

    April 22, 2026
    Dangerous Smartphone Apps Threaten Data Theft Risks

    Dangerous Smartphone Apps Threaten Data Theft Risks

    April 18, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Our Picks
    Uranium uses and risks raise global security alarm

    Uranium uses and risks raise global security alarm

    April 22, 2026
    Apple CEO Transition Marks Major Leadership Shift

    Apple CEO Transition Marks Major Leadership Shift

    April 22, 2026
    Dangerous Smartphone Apps Threaten Data Theft Risks

    Dangerous Smartphone Apps Threaten Data Theft Risks

    April 18, 2026
    Artemis II lunar mission Marks Historic Return to the Moon

    Artemis II lunar mission Marks Historic Return to the Moon

    April 13, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    Don't Miss
    Ted Cruz Slams FCC Threats to ABC

    Ted Cruz Slams FCC Threats to ABC

    Politics September 20, 2025

    Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican from Texas, likened Federal Communications Commission chair Brendan Carr’s threats…

    Indiana GOP Approves 9-0 Congressional Map

    Indiana GOP Approves 9-0 Congressional Map

    December 6, 2025
    Iran Middle East geopolitical conflict Deepens US Rivalry

    Iran Middle East geopolitical conflict Deepens US Rivalry

    April 13, 2026
    European Shares Flat as Energy Losses Offset Industrial Gains

    European Shares Flat as Energy Losses Offset Industrial Gains

    February 20, 2025
    About Us

    Daljoog News is a trusted news platform that brings you the latest global and local updates with accuracy and fairness. We are committed to clear and unbiased reporting, covering topics like politics, business, technology, science, and culture and more. Using the latest technology and expert journalism, we provide reliable coverage of important stories. Stay informed, inspired, and empowered with Daljoog News—your source for breaking news, the latest updates, and videos that matter.

    Email Us: info@daljoognews.com

    Our Picks
    California Threatens Paramount’s $110B Warner Deal

    California Threatens Paramount’s $110B Warner Deal

    February 28, 2026
    US Judge Dismisses Buffalo Wild Wings Lawsuit

    US Judge Dismisses Buffalo Wild Wings Lawsuit

    February 18, 2026
    Casey Wasserman to Sell Agency Amid Epstein File Fallout

    Casey Wasserman to Sell Agency Amid Epstein File Fallout

    February 15, 2026
    Latest News
    Iran Fast Boats Raise Security Risks in Hormuz Strait

    Iran Fast Boats Raise Security Risks in Hormuz Strait

    April 25, 2026
    2PM Ok Taecyeon Marries After 10 Years of Love

    2PM Ok Taecyeon Marries After 10 Years of Love

    April 25, 2026
    Russia Gold Reserves Drop After Massive 22 Ton Sale.jpg The server cannot process the image. This can happen if the server is busy or does not have enough resources to complete the task. Uploading a smaller image may help. Suggested maximum size is 2560 pixels.

    Russia Gold Reserves Drop After Massive 22 Ton Sale

    April 25, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) RSS YouTube Instagram
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Our Authors
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Sitemap
    © 2026 DaljoogNews.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.